CLEMENT HOLDSWORTH
 


Clement Holdsworth, JP, of Netherside Hall, Threshfield, near Skipton and Shaw Lodge, Halifax
[1855-1920]

Clement Holdsworth Clement Holdsworth

Clement Holdsworth, second son of George Holdsworth
Born 18 Sep 1855 at Elmwood, Halifax.
Educated at Storthes Hall, Kirkburton, Huddersfield; Hovingham Lodge, York; and Uppingham in E.D. Little’s house under headmaster Rev. Edward Thring.
Approximately 40 years later, Storthes Hall became a mental asylum, opened in 1904 and closed in 2002.
Clement Holdsworth went to Shaw Lodge Mills in 1873.
He married Emma Louisa Udall, third daughter of Thomas Udall of Silverdale, Staffs. at Keele Church, Staffs. on 27 Sep 1878.
Resided at :
1. 23 Heath Avenue, Skircoat, Halifax. The 1881 British Census, York, records that Clement Holdsworth was head of household at 23 Heath Avenue, Skircoat, Halifax.
2. Shaw Lodge, Halifax
3. Netherside Hall, Threshfield, near Skipton from 1912.

J.P. (West Riding, Yorkshire, 1887.) Chairman of the Bench, 1917

He was church warden at Halifax Parish Church.
He was President of Halifax Incorporated Chamber of Commerce 1903 and 1904. Link
He was the first president of the Halifax and District Master Spinners’ Federation from 1913 until 1919.
President, Halifax Choral Society.
Captain of the Halifax Cricket eleven, 1883, securing the Challenge Cup.
President of the Cricket and Football Club 1883-1893.
Clement was a key member of Kilnsey Angling Club from 1876 to 1920. Clement's uncle Col. William Irving Holdsworth was a friend and business associate of Edward Akroyd, who may have introduced Clement Holdsworth to the Club in 1876.

Clement died at Netherside Hall on 13 April 1920, and was interred in the family mausoleum at All Saints’ Church, Salterhebble, Halifax.

Father of:
George Bertram Holdsworth, [1879-1942]
Constance Gertrude, [1880-1955]
Kathleen Marian, [1882-1946]
Hugh Reginald, [1884-1957]
twins Norman Cyril and Robert Lionel [1885-1887] who died as infants, and
Florence Gwendoline [1892-1928].


Mr. C. HOLDSWORTH

RESPECTED CITIZEN PASSES AWAY

ACTIVITY IN. MANY SPHERES

Reprinted from the "HALIFAX COURIER," April 17th, 1920.

With deep and sincere regret we have to record the death of Mr. Clement Holdsworth, J.P., which took place on Tuesday, at Netherside Hall, near Grassington. For some months Mr. Holdsworth had been ill, suffering from an internal complaint.

SPECIAL MEMOIR.

Mr. Holdsworth's activities, apart from his business, were wide and varied. He was prominently associated with the Parish Church, the Choral Society had in him a warm friend and supporter, he manifested a genuine interest in sport, for the Chamber of Commerce he did good work, and he was diligent in the discharge of his duties as a West Riding magistrate. Several times he was approached with an offer of nomination as a member of the Town Council. This proposed honour, however, he always declined, though he followed the doings of the municipality with the greatest interest as he showed in his criticisms at meetings of the Ratepayers' Association, of which, with the late Mr. Ed. Haley, and Mr. C. T. Rhodes, he was one of the heads.

BUSINESS LIFE.

The son of Mr. Geo Holdsworth, he was born at Elm Wood on Sept. 18, 1855, so that he had reached his 66th year. He was educated at Uppingham, and from school entered the worsted and spinning manufacturing at Shaw Lodge Mills, a business established by his grandfather, Mr. John Holdsworth, in 1830. The mills continue one of the few remaining family-owned concerns in the Borough.

Mr. Holdswotth, it used to be claimed, was the largest individual contributor to the local rates. Associated with him in the business, in reoent years, he had his two sons. The firm, all along, under the different headships, have manifested a personal interest in their work-people. A practical way in which this was demonstrated was in the provision, prior to Board school days, of schools at Whitegate for the education of half-time workers. The building, having served its purpose, was not long ago transferred by Mr. Holdsworth to the new Parish of St. Mark for other uses.

PARISH CHURCH ACTIVITIES.

Mr. Holdsworth's interest in the Parish Church was inherited, his father, and his grandfather, being actively identified with it. For 10 years, along with Mr. E. Huntriss, Mr. Clement served the Church in the office of warden, and, with his colleague, was most conscientious in the discharge of the duties. After working amicably and well in double-harness, they retired together, and on resuming their position as ordinary members of the congregation were presented by the parishioners with happily chosen corresponding mementoes of appreciation, consisting of artistically bound etchings of different views of the Church, enclosed in a richly carved casket made from old oak taken at the restoration of the edifice in 1882. Mr. Holdsworth, besides well fulfilling the office of Warden for this good stretch of years, was a generous benefactor to the Church in different wrays. For the extension of the organ, as a memorial to Mr. W. H. Garland, the Church was indebted to him, and to him, as much as to anyone, was due the displacement of gas by the electric light, in 1898, for the illumination of the church. Mr. Holdsworth was insistent, when this change in the lighting arrangement was resolved upon, that the new lamp designs must be such as would harmonise with the general character of the edifice. That end, all church goers will agree, was well attained in the selection adopted, A lover of music, Mr. Holdsworth, throughout his association with the church, was persistent on one thing, and that was the maintenance of an efficient choir.

LOVE OF MUSIC.

It was his great appreciation of music that enlisted his warm interest in the Halifax Choral Society. The society, whilst he was associated with it, had both its " ups " and its " downs." Throughout, however, in good season and bad season, Mr. Holdsworth remained loyal, and it was a great satisfaction to him that the recently celebrated centenary was reached with the organisation at its highest state of efficiency, not only in a musical sense, but financially. Since 1900, when he succeeded Mr. John Rawson, of Brockwell, in the office, he had occupied the position, of president. Previous to that he had been for some years an acceptable vice-president of the society. His cheery optimism, in the " dark days " of the Society, permeated his co-workers, and served as a stimulous in the bringing about of the welcome " turn of the tide." In " Yorkshire Who's Who " his recreations are given as fishing and shooting. The addition, " love of music," might aptly have been added, for Mr. Holdsworth found great enjoyment in it personally, and did muoh to inculcate appreciation of it in others. The Choral Society, in his death, have sustained an especial loss.

SPORTING INTERESTS.

Fishing and shooting, whilst favoured pastimes of his in the way of sport, were not his only interests under that head. Football and cricket, and especially cricket, appealed to him. With the Halifax Cricket and Football Club he had been associated from the first. As a cricketer, he was a capable player, not only as bowler, but as batsman, and he was one of the district eleven chosen to meet Yorkshire, in 1876, on the opening of the old Hanson-Lane ground. In 1883, he became captain of the Halifax Cricket Eleven, and the team had the saitisfaction, under his leadership, and with his useful assistance with bat and ball, of securing the Challenge Cup. The same year he was elected president of the Cricket and Football Club, on the retirement of Sir Hy. Edwards, and he occupied the position with distinction until 1893. Retirement from office did not mean loss of interest in either branch of sport. This was demonstrated by the fact that, only last year, he consented to resume presidency of the cricket section, then become established: as a separate committee, with the football section as an independent organisation. Removal to Thrum Hall had been made in 1886, and it was to Mr. Holdsworth, in conjunction with Major Morris and the late Mr. J. T. Riley, that the sport-loving public of Halifax were indebted for the acquisition, of this well-adapted estate.

IN OTHER SPHERES.

In July, 1887, Mr. HoIdsworth was appointed a member of the Halifax West Riding Bench, and in 1917 he succeeded Major T. H. Morris in the position of Chairman of the Bench. As a magistrate, he possessed the confidence and esteem, not only of his brother justices, but of all having business at the court. It was a great gratification to him that, among the last additions of the Bench, two years ago, was his eldest son, Mr. G. B. Holdsworth, the serving of father and son on the same commission being exceptional. For two years, in 1903 and 1904, he was president of the Chamber of Commerce. He was a member, since 1891, of Probity Lodge of Freemasons. In his earlier years, travel appealed to him, and he visited, besides the Continent, America and Canada, Australia, and South Africa. He married, on Aug. 27, 1878, Miss Emma Louisa Udall, third daughter of Mr. Thos. Udall, Silverdale, Staffordshire, who, with two sons and three daughters, survive him. Some eight years ago, Mr. Holdsworth removed his home from Shaw Lodge, Halifax, to Netherside Hall, Grassington. Association with business and other interests, however, was kept up by constant visiting.

THE INTERMENT.

The funeral of Mr. Holdsworth took place on Friday at All Saints’ Cemetery, Salterhebble. A short service was held at Netherside Hall in the morning, prior to the mourners travelling by motor to the Halifax Parish Church, where a service was held before the cortege proceeded to Salterhebble. The chief mourners were:- Mr. G. B. Holdsworth and Capt. H. R. Holdsworth (sons), Maj. J. E. Holdsworth (nephew), Capt. C. S. Walker and Mr. J. M. Robertson (sons-in-law), Mr. Horace A. Groom and Rev. Arthur J. Groom (brothers-in-law), Mr. A. Holdsworth Groom (nephew), and Capt. C. P. Green (brother-in-law).

Representing the staff at Netherside Hall were Messrs. F. West, B. Wood, S. Smith, K. Wiseman, L. Robinson, W. Airey, Mrs. Percival, and Misses Lawton and Neil.

The body was enclosed in a shell and fumed-oak casket, mounted with heavy brass handles, the plate being engraved:- " Clement Holdsworth;, born 18th Sept., 1855; died 13th April, 1920."

The bearers, employes at Shaw Lodge Mills, were Messrs. C. Boyes, J. Archer, G. Pollard, T. Stansfield, S, Jackson, and H. Firth.

Amongst the large congregation at the Parish Church were the following:-
Halifax Choral Society.- Messrs F. W. Fleming (vice-president and hon. treasurer), Jesse Robinson (librarian), John Mitchell, T. Seed, F. H. Bentley, S. Field, Ccr. J. Foster, G. R. Kershaw, W. S. Milligan, Mrs. W. A. Brookes, and Mrs. T. Foster.

Loyal Georgeans:- Messrs. A. Worsnop, H. Goodall, A. E. Howarth, E. M. Greenwood, E. F. Williams (late treasurer), A. E. Williams (secretary), C. W. Nicholson, R, Highley, C. E. Rose, and B. Beverley.

Halifax and District Master Spinners' Federation:- Messrs. C. W. Crossley (John Crossley and Sons, Ltd.), president; Frank Slater (Frank Slater, Ltd.), vice-president; Frank Clay (Clay and Horsfall); 0.L. Anders (Wm. Morris and Sons, Ltd.); P. W. Metcalfe (Clayton, Metcalfe and Co., Ltd.; T. W. Benson (Hollingrake and Clegg, Ltd.), A. W. Ingham (Stott and Ingham), A. Pickles (T. Pickles and Son, Ltd.), J. D. Simpson, secretary.

Probity Lodge of Freemasons, No. 61:- W. Bros, C. Ramsden, W.M, R. E. Nicholson, C.L. Kershaw, G.R. Kershaw, and Dr. Brushfield, Bros. F.B. Watson, S.W., C.V. Wright. D. Garsed, and S. Wright. Apologies were sent by W. Bros. Geo. Buckley, W. Emmott and J.E. Oates; and Bros. R.J. Hartley, C.E. Frobisher and W.A. Drake.

West Riding Magistrates:- Col. Morris, Messrs. J.E. Shaw, J.S. Rawson, B. Firth, J. Murgatroyd, Dr. Denning, C.H. Waller S. Schofleld, S. Lumb, J.F. Clay, J.S. Smithies, ( D.W. Smith, W. Wilson, H. Thomas (Midgley), Kellett (Shelf), E. Huntriss (clerk), and J. Knott (Deputy clerk).

Halifax Chamber of Commerce:- Messrs. F. Holroyd, J.P. (president), T. Sutcliffe (vice-president), J.W. Tillotson, E.E. Pollit, M. Charnbers, W. Crabtree, and J.C. Kerr (treasurer).

Halifax Club:- Messrs. J.E. Brearley, G.H. Stewart, J.W. Aked, S.W. Broadhead, and W. Radcliffe (steward)

Halifax Cricket Club:- Messrs, Ccr. H. Turner, Ccr. J. Sugden, F. Levitt. C.V. Wright, and A. Crapper.

Halifax Conservative Association:- Ald. Brooksbank, Ccr. A. Gray, Messrs J. Hilbert, and T. Hollas.

Ovenden Constitutional Club:- Mr. P. A. Rawnsley.

Halifax Madrigal Society:- Mr. T. W. Benson.

Shaw Lodge Mills were represented by a large number of employes, the following being the heads of the various departments:- Messrs. S. Peters (yarn salesman), G. R. Pearson (mill manager), A. Halliwell, H. Smith (shed manager), A Horsfall (engineer), C.F. Sunderland (shed sales manager), A. Bearder (cashier), J.H. Pickles, H. Wolfenden, and J. Turner (old office employees).

Siddal St. Mark's: - Rev. P.M. Weston, (vicar) and Mr. J.W. Ramsden (representing the Sunday School).

Business and personal friends:- Sir G.H. Fisher-Smith, J.P., Sir A.F. Firth, J.P., Sir W.P. Raynor (Huddersfield), Major Buffham, Major Norman H. Moore, Rev, C.H. Lowe (rector of Rylston), Lt.-Col. Anderton (Bradford), Lt.-Col. Vernon-Willey, M.P., (Francis Willey and Co., Bradford), Dr. J. Crossley Wright, Messrs. J.G. Waterhouse (R. Waterhouse and Co., Bradford), G. Rawnsley, J.P., J. Whitaker, J.P., W.A. Simpson-Hinchliffe, J.P., J. Sutcliffe-Thomas, J.P., C. Bairstow (Keighley), H. King (M.M.A.), E.J. Reddie, E.M. Huntriss, Robertshaw (Denholme), W.G. Foster (Denholme), J.L. Margerison (Menston), T. Hey (Margerison and Co., Bradford), W.H. Bancroft, H. Granger, Rogers, Cutliffe Hyne, H. Sutcliffe, F.F. Steinthal (Ben Rhydding), A. Collins (W. Collins and Sons, Bradford), J.R. Pollit, O. Robinson (Kettlewell), Baldwin (E. Wall and Co.), T. Smith (Bradford), M. Crabtree (Threshfield), W.G. Smithson (Bradford), F.W. Petty (Bradford), T. Hoyle, F. Johnson, H. Tetley (Grassington), W.A. Procter (Ilkley), S. Gaukroger, A.R. Pollit, H. Shepley, Dickinson (Grassington), Capt. Green, G.W. Hoffmann, J.L. Hickson, C. Oyler, P.H. Norris, R.M. Stansfield, Moss Howson (Harrogate), T.S. Tetley (Ben Rhydding), R. Whitworth, Gerald Norris, S.M. Cockin, C.P. Charlesworth (Skipton), W. Howarth (E. Howarth and Sons), W.H. Wayman, J. Dodd, Ccr. S. Wright, D. Garsed, A. Fletcher, Harold Marshall, E.A. Lassey, Thornton, W.H. Mitchell, Trevor Baldwin, John Bairstow, W.H. Ostler, L.P. Foster, W. Crabtree, J.P., J. Campbell, G. Sykes, C.L. Kershaw (London City and Midland Bank), E. Finlinson (Lloyds Bank Ltd.), A. Pickles, A. Perry (Police Court Mission), W. Shuttleworth (an old employee), S. Balme (Balme and Pritchard), G. Mumby, E. Lawrence. B. 0. Osborn, B. W. Norris, H. Waring, W. Taylor, G. R. Ryley, Geo. W, Highley, Thos. Constantine (Wm. Hanson and Co.), Messrs. Read, Wood and H. H. Turner, (Johnson and Farie, Bradford, Ltd.), E. W. Chary (N. Heydemann and Co., Bradford), Walter Highley. J. D. Black (Skipton), Leigh Tolson (Huddersfleld), E. Roberts (J. Whittingham and Sons, Bradford), C. B. Dyson (Cooper, Triffitt and Co., Ltd., Bradford), Sir Ellis Denby (Skipton), Mr. W. A. Denby (Skipton), Col. Maude (Skipton), Reginald G. Brundrit (Skipton), and Isaac Naylor (Isaac Naylor and Sons, Bradford). Sir P. W. Whitley-Thomson wrote regretting inability to attend, as also did the Rev. G. B. Aspinail and several other West Riding magistrates.

The service at the church was conducted by the Rev. Canon Burn, D.D., and the Rev. J. Leighton, rector of Linton. They were accompanied by the assistant clergy and several members of the choir. The Rev. John Firth officiated as cross bearer. The arrangements in church were supervised by Messrs. R. Bretton and J. W. Pickles (wardens), assisted by Messrs. E. J. Walker and D. Walker (sidesmen). Mr. F. de G. English presided at the organ. Three hymns were sung, namely, " On the resurrection morning," " O strength and stay, upholding all creation," and " Abide with me." The lesson was read by the Rector of Linton. As the cortege left the church the organist played Beethoven's Funeral March. The Halifax Choral Society had hoped to have sung in church, but did not do so in deference to the wish of the family.

A large number of employees and others, headed by the Borough and West Riding Police, in charge respectively of Major Richardson and Supt. Peckitt, accompanied the cortege to the cemetery, where the service was taken by the Rev. Canon Burn and the Rector of Linton.

The family vault was decorated with ivy, ferns, narcissi and daffodils.

Numerous and beautiful floral tokens were sent, amongst which were a magnificent cross, from Halifax Choral Society; a floral cricket bat from the Halifax Cricket Club, and a beautiful floral cushion from the spinning department of Shaw Lodge Mills.

Appended is a list of the tributes:- Mother; George and Mabel; Baby John; Hugh. Dorothy and Patricia; Consie; Kathlean and Charlie; John and Gwen; Mr. and Mrs. P. H. Norris; Dr. and Mrs. Hughes; Mr. and Mrs. T. Wayman; the Misses Hammond; Mrs. Udall; the Members of the Grassington Girls' Club; Mr. W. Gaunt; Mr. and Mrs. H. Tetley; the members of the Anderton Institute; Sir Ellis, Lady Denby and Mr. A. Denby; Mrs. Roberts and her children; Mrs. Hatton; Dr. and Mrs. Liversidge; Mr and Mrs. Halliwell Sutcliffe; Miss Doris Highley; Mrs. Watson;- Lucy Manfield, S. M. V. and C. Gardiner; Doris West, Ernest Smith and Evelyn Smith; the Netherside Indoor and Outdoor Staff; Lucy and Nellie; the Staff, Shaw Lodge Mills; Overlookers, Shaw Lodge Mills; Office Staff, Shaw Lodge Mills; Weaving Shed, Shaw Lodge Mills; Boot Dept., Shaw Lodge Mills; Spinning and Drawing Dept., Shaw Lodge Mills; the Halifax Choral Society; the Halifax Madrigal Society; the Halifax Conservative and Unionist Association; the Loyal Georgean Society; Edgar Turrall, Harold King and Joshua Perkins; Mr. William Exley; Mr. and Mrs, T. S. Tetley; Dr. and Mrs. J. Crossley Wright; Mrs. Chadwick; W. A. Simpson-Hinchliffe; Mrs. Frederick Walker and Mabel; Harry Collier; Mr. and Mrs. Harold King; Major Norman H. Moore; Sir George and Lady Fisher-Smith; Mr. Robt. Whitworth; Mr. and Mrs. Huntriss; Mr. and Mrs. John Ambler; Mr. and Mrs. Jack Standeven; Mr. and Mrs. C. W. Crossley; Mr. and Mrs. Trevor Baldwin; Mrs. Ward Tamplin; Jack and Marjorie Ward Tamplin; Mrs, Marshall; Mr. and Mrs. D. G. Wheelwright; Ted and Eugene; Mr. and Mrs. Wheelwright (Heathfield); Mr. and Mrs. G. B. Whitaker; Mr. and Mrs. Lee; General Harris; Mr. and Mrs. Holdswortih (Francis-street); Emily Harrison and Jack Holdsworth; Mr. W. Emmott; Members of the Halifax Cricket Club; President and Committee of the Halifax Football Club; Mr. and Mrs. H. Bearder; Messrs. Holland and Webb; Mr. and Mrs. Harold Marshall; Jack and Emily; Mr. and Mrs. Kirk; Mr. and Mrs. Francis Willey; Mrs. Duncan Campbell; W.M. and Brethren, Probity Lodge, No: 61; Emily and Jack; Mrs. F. W. Fleming; Mr. R. M. Pitt; Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Asquith.

The funeral arrangements ware carried out by Messrs. J. Roberts and Son, Bell Hall.

TRIBUTES.

Mr. J. E. Shaw, presiding at Halifax West Riding Court on Saturday, before ordinary business commenced, expressed the deep feeling of his colleagues at the death of the chairman, Mr. Clement Holdeworth. Appointed as a member of the Bench in 1886, Mr. Holdsworth, he said had therefore had 34 years experience, and in the early part of that service he was very much harder worked than the magistrates were to-day. He had then to attend Court every Saturday, and the sittings were very much longer. When Col. Morris vacated tbs chair, the choice naturally fell on Mr. Holdsworth. Speaking for the justices, both present and absent, he could say that they had been absolutely satisfied with that choice. Mr. Holdsworth had many good qualities. Besides his tact, he easily expressed himself, and one of his great points was that he was able to give reasons for his opinions. During the 2 1/2 years he had been chairman, he had conducted the business in a way that met with tba approval both of his colleagues and the Court generally. On behalf of these he expressed sympathy with Mrs. Holdsworth and the family, and more especially with his eldar son, their fellow justice, Mr. G. B. Holdsworth.

Ccr. J. H. Mackrell on behalf of the members of the Bar and the Law Society generally, expressed approval of these sentiments. Be was convinced, he said, that Mr. Holdsworth's life had been lived not only in the cause of helping others but of pushing forward, everything for the welfare and benefit of the masses. He conscientiously carried out the duties entrusted to him by the Lord Chancellor. Where mercy or advice was necessary, he tendered it, and whenever there was a possibility of amicably adjusting matters he was the first to suggest it. The Bench, of which he was such an ornament, would feel his loss intensely. He associated himself with the vote of condolence.

CRICKETERS' SYMPATHY.

At the annual meeting of Halifax Cricket Club, held at Thrum Hall, on Thursday, Ccr. H. Turner presiding, tribute was paid to the memory of Mr. C. Holdsworth, for many years president of the club.

The Chairman said his duty was a very painful one. There was a gloom around the club owing to the death of their president, whose loss would be very difficult to replace. Their hearts went out in all sincerity to Mrs. Holdsworth and the family. The members of the club extended to them their deepest sympathy. Mr. Holdsworth possessed fine, manly virtues. He had a charming personality, amiability and kind-heartedness, and was of a very sympathetic nature. He had no conceit or so-called side, but was always approachable: a perfect type of gentleman and a true sportsman. The speaker could speak from experience, having known Mr. Holdsworth from boyhood and having been associated with him on the playing area under the late gentleman's captaincy. He remembered how proud Mr. Holdsworth had been in the year the club had won the three cups. The services Mr. Holdsworth had rendered to the public had been enormous, and it was difficult to realise how long the list was of causes and associations which had had his support.

Mr. A. Myers seconded and the vote was carried unanimously, the crowded attendance standing in reverent silence.


From the Photograph Album

Constance Gertrude Holdsworth, ca 1883
Constance Gertrude Holdsworth, ca 1883

Photo taken by
Kay photographer, 211 Lord Street, Southport

Constance Gertrude Holdsworth, ca 1883
Emma Louisa Holdsworth and family, ca 1892

Clement's wife Emma Louisa Holdsworth,
nee Udall with Children:
George Bertram Holdsworth, [1879-1942]
Constance Gertrude, [1880-1955]
Kathleen Marian, [1882-1946]
Hugh Reginald, [1887-1957].
If picture taken circa 1892,
ages would be 12, 11, 9 and 4.
Florence Gwendoline [1892-1928] missing,
presumably not born.
Photograph by T Illingworth,
Artist and Photographer,
41 Crown Street, Halifax

Constance Gertrude Holdsworth, Kathleen Marian Holdsworth, ca 1892
Constance Gertrude Holdsworth,
Kathleen Marian Holdsworth, ca 1892

Constance Gertrude, [1880-1955]
Kathleen Marian, [1882-1946]
If picture taken in 1892, their ages would be 11 and 9.
Photograph by T Illingworth,
Artist and Photographer, 41 Crown Street, Halifax

see full size image in new window
Clement, [1855-1920]

aged 6 or 7 years old,
this would be dated circa 1861
Photograph taken by Fisher, Filey.
Walter Fisher photographer of Bellevue St
and Queen St, Filey, established 1857.

unknown girl, ca 1892
unknown girl, ca 1892

unknown family group, ca 1892
unknown family group, ca 1892

Clement Holdsworth, ca 1892
Clement Holdsworth, ca 1892

see full size image in new window
Conistone Moor Aug 18, 1916

332½ brace
JM-H, CH, JRM, TST GBH, FGH

GBH: George Bertram Holdsworth
FGH: Florence Gwendoline Holdsworth
JM-H: J Moss-Howson from Harrogate
CH: Clement Holdsworth

see full size image in new window
Conistone Moor Aug 18, 1916

332½ brace
GBH, AHG, FGH, JRM, JM-H, TST, CH, SC

GBH: George Bertram Holdsworth
FGH: Florence Gwendoline Holdsworth
JM-H: J Moss-Howson from Harrogate
CH: Clement Holdsworth

Walter and Clement's signature letter, 1881
Walter and Clement's signature letter,
admitting each to John Holdsworth & Co Ltd, 1881


© 2018 David W. Holdsworth  
contact

Please send questions, updates, additions to:
Middle Pasture, Halifax, HX3 0AG, UK
Tel: +44 1422 322500