crest

Shears Inn, Paris Gates, Halifax, West Yorkshire, England.
 

The Shears Inn
Paris Gates
Halifax
West Yorkshire HX3 9EZ


Shears Inn, Paris Gates, Halifax
(Photo 2001)


The Shears Inn, at Paris Gates, is one of the most famous pubs in Halifax. It is a quaint tavern or inn next to an ancient pack-horse bridge, “Boy’s Bridge” over the former canal and the Hebble Brook.
It has one of the most unusual approaches in the business, along the cobbled streets in the shadow of Holdsworth’s Shaw Lodge Mills complex.
In the nineteenth century this historic inn was the social spot for workers from the nearby mills.
In 1888 it was sold by Clement Holdsworth, owner of John Holdsworth & Co Ltd, along with the New Inn, Holdsworth Street, Lower Shaw Hill, Halifax, which closed in 1908.
It lies on the Hebble Trail, a pedestrian and cycle route into Halifax along the course of the “Calder Navigation” from Salterhebble to Halifax centre. The Hebble runs into the river Calder.

Copper Dragon Brewery
Copper Dragon

Timothy Taylors Brewery
Timothy Taylors

1822
Dinah Whitaker was landlord in 1822. (Baines' Directory of Yorkshire Vol. 1, West Riding 1822)

1845
John Ingham was landlord in 1845. (Innkeepers of the Halifax Townships - 1845)

1865
From records of the Halifax Crematorium, Ann Hutley Fielding of the Shears Inn, Shaw Hill, died on 18 August 1865 aged 22 years.
Her mother and father were Robert and Sarah, suggesting that they ran the pub at that time.

1888
In 1888 it was sold by Clement Holdsworth, owner of John Holdsworth & Co Ltd, along with the New Inn, Holdsworth Street, Lower Shaw Hill, Halifax, which closed in 1908.

1907-1926
Jane Field held the license from 1907 to 1926. It's quite possible that Paris Gates was once called "Parish Gates", and that the name became altered with the pasage of time.

Pre-1971
Until 1971, the Shears was owned by the Whitbread brewery. (From a conversation with Carol Tierney, Oct 2005.)

1971-1976
The landlord was Raymond Thomas, with his wife Margaret.

1976-1990
The landlord from 19/12/1976 until 1990 was Jim Tierney, with his wife Carol.

1991-2003
The landlord from 1991 to 2003 was Colin Dyson, with his wife Christine.

2003-2005
In October 2003, Kath Hepworth and Dean Scargill took over as licensees. They already had the successful Duke of York in Shelf, and formerly the Black Bull in Brighouse and Heaths in Bull Green, Halifax.

2005
Peter Sturman will become the new licensee of the Shears Inn on the 14th of October 2005

Today, the inn is a free house, provides excellent lunches at great value on weekdays and weekends, and has a wide selection of real ales from which to choose, including
Timothy Taylor Championship Beers, and
Copper Dragon award winning cask conditioned ales.

© 2018 David W. Holdsworth  
contact

Please send questions, updates, additions to:
Middle Pasture, Halifax, HX3 0AG, UK
Tel: +44 1422 322500